Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Roots Beckon!

For as long as I remember, I have always drawn enough joy and pride from the fact that I was born in the lap of nature. My native village, Brijwar, is located in Almora – one of the 13 districts of scenic Uttarakhand. It is placed on a foothill and is surrounded by a wonderful range of mountains. The journey from the arduous and boring landscape of cities to the breathtaking and refreshing views of my birth place is nothing short of an adventure. Once you reach within the radius of 20 kms, you can see the gigantic hills from a distance. The labyrinthine roads then lead you up to the top of mountains which then spiral downwards; and the routine continues for three hours (approx time taken to cover a distance of 100 kms on hills). Sudden mystic appearances of fog, rain and sunlight in turn on the way leave you mesmerized. Not aware of the scientific reasoning (clash of tectonic plates that gave rise to mountains millions of years ago), I spent all my childhood kicking my bottom wondering as to how mother earth had given way to such huge protruding alps. 


 Untill my graduation years, I used to visit my home town frequently but ever since I started working (for eight years now), the trips to Brijwar have been very few and far between. Fortunately, last month, we got a wonderful opportunity to go all bag and baggage with the entire family to the village. The occasion that called for the entire clan to be present was a religious ritual that takes place once every 30 years. It was expected to be big and turned out to be so. Most of the fellow villagers, like us, had moved to cities years ago for better prospects. In the past two decades, the exodus our village witnessed was alarming. Brijwar – once a home to over 150 inhabitants – has now been reduced to just 60-odd people. So, for this reason too, it was a heartening sight to notice the entire village back in its old glory and going full throttle.


  The religious practices continued for three days. All the denizens and guests participated in full vigour. Ceremonial dance and feast were organized; ritual killing took place (I seriously hope no animal rights’ activist visits this blog); other customs and practices were carried out in due manner; and pleasantries were exchanged. Now, I am not too religious a person and firmly believe it is the root cause of all the ills that are prevailing in the society today. However, I couldn’t help but notice the upside of it. Religion, as it is, and traditions help a great deal in keeping the social fabric intact. It keeps the society together and prevents it from falling apart. How else are we to justify the kith and kins and the distant acquaintances coming together here after years and in this magnitude? People join hands when it comes to performing pujas (religious practice), following centuries old rituals and traditions. Thus, it was a heartening sight.


Throughout my stay in village, my mental faculty worked at two levels. One was observing what was happening around and the other one was filtering the information and running it parallel to how things used to happen back then in older times. Since I had the luxury of time, I dwelt on these matters and wallowed in the past at length. Everything flashed before my eyes. How we would go in groups to distant places to fetch water from natural resources. What fun it was to play childish games while at it. It was nothing short of an adventure going to neighboring villages on foot to meet near and dear ones and trekking arduously to reach a temple of our family goddess which was about 10 kms from our village. The nearest telephone booth was three kms away and the electricity was yet to reach our part of the world. Compared to the same, we have water taps in each and every house today, roads have become better and the transport system has improved. Mobile ringtones can be heard from every corner of our village and electricity is in abundance.


Earlier, the farmers were largely dependent on their produce for their livelihood. Now, the educated and competent ones are vying for winning local elections, applying to schools for teaching assignments and turning tradesmen.  While all these development and forward-looking thinking is good, the rustic charm which has always been known as the hallmark of hills is found amiss these days. The villages are becoming more like the cities. People are fast turning into smugs. There is less of kinship, mutual love and respect and more of one-upmanship. I have no idea where will it lead us to and what fate we achieve eventually.

While all this seem to be deterrents, I try not to get affected by the same. After all, there is a long-standing connect with the roots that I find hard to forsake. The majestic mountains, free-flowing tributaries, eye-pleasing terraces full of rice, maize and spices; pristine air and favourable weather – how can one not miss them? The feeling of staying connected with one’s roots surpasses everything else.




Previously, my grandparents used to take care of our ancestral house but my grandma moved with us last year as it became increasingly difficult for her to manage without my grandpa who passed away a few years back. The house is lying vacant now and there is a sudden sense of isolation that has crept into my being. The feeling of drifting away from the motherland is rampant more than ever now.


We stayed at our village for about a week. When we left for plains, a part of me wanted to scream out in pain but the better sense muffled that voice. While coming back, I quietly made a promise to myself that I would be back soon and keep up this wonderful relationship that I share with my native land for as long as my body will allow me.


We may have come to Delhi for better prospects and leading a comfortable life but somewhere in the quest of attaining sophistication, our lives have become more complex as we have lost the simplicity in the process. Today, I might be a well-settled professional living in a metropolitan city and given to creature comforts but I still think I draw more satisfaction from rudimentary lifestyle than anything else. The serenity it brings to life is beyond words.

My heart is set in Almora and its country life. I think I am and will always remain a rustic at heart. As they say, you can take a rustic out of their village but not village out of a rustic. :-)


30 comments:

Gaurav singh said...

Hey dhirender., nice thought. But you already know that change is need for everyone and for their growth. Only important is that how we connect to our religion, rituals and roots (Uttarakhand) and how we connect our children to all these things. And pay timely visit to our Mera pahada ko uncha daana. Mero Muluk mero desh :-))))))

Dhirendra said...

Gaurav da, I can't agree more with you. Thando re thando, mero pahado ki hauwwa thandi, paani thando. :-)

Amrita Kumar said...

I can so relate to this....even i sumtimes feel the same, there is a void in me inspite of worldly comforts. there is a certain peace i get whenever i visit my hometown in assam. try to make it a point to visit at least twice in a year. good work dhiren :

Dhirendra said...

Thanks Amrita. I think this stands true for every person who comes to metro cities from small towns to make it big in life. Once he is settled in his new life, his heart starts to yearn for his former way of life.

Nancy Gulati said...

Very well written Dhiren :) though I never got the opportunity to move to any other town for studies or work.... But can truely understand the feelings and sentiments attached with your own town.... U should go every year :)

Tarun said...

Your blog cn certainly boost d Uttarakhand tourism. A man's tryst with his roots. Luckily, u hv d liberty to visit d place of ur clan's origin by driving up to north any weekend. Ppl lke me r stl nurturing a dream to one day touch d soil across d border on westernfront, whr my forefathers laid d foundation f our genesis.

Dhirendra said...

@Nancy Gulati - Thanks dear for your feedback :)

@Tarun Khanna - I will pray for the fulfilment of your dream. Thanks brother for writing in.

Doel said...

I feel that peace living here.... city crowd and traffic , i can no more bear....

Unknown said...

Loved the way you recreated the whole experience. Could visualize it very well. I agree with you that it's the customs which bind us in the social fabric. Enjoyed Reading it.

Unknown said...

amazingly well written dhirendra..way to go..all the best...didn't know that your work allowed you to dwell on such intricate issues !! keep writing !!

Unknown said...

Very Well written Dhirendra, Its been going in my head also of late and been hearing in many discussions that there is special fulfillment people feel at the place where they have grown up.. I have been lucky that now i am back to my place after 10 years and there is unique completeness i feel. Swadesh Film yaad hai na.. No matter where you go there cant be a better relaxing place where you spent your childhood.

You are bringing really good variety in your writing, Happy writing :)

Dhirendra said...

Thanks Doel, Sangeeta, Hitesh and Saurabh for sharing your impressions. It feels really nice to notice that you cared enough to write back. :-)

Unknown said...

Nicely written, carefully tried to capture every nits and bits of village culture and to provide a first hand account of how modernisation is affecting our villages and how we r craving for their lost charm in this fast paced, cruel and self centric culture of metropolis! Keep it up! Very Good work������

tripti sharma said...

well written and quite thoughtful i must say Mr.Negi.
However, i would love to see some more pictures of your hometown after reading your description.
Mountains can never be boring. Lucky you that you belong to one :)
Keep Rocking !

Sonjoy Das said...

Beautifully written Dhirendra.... Never knew that u r so observant and sensitive. You have a good flair for writing too...Very nice expression indeed..I could visualise it...It was truly experiential. I could even smell...Keep writing...keep sharing !

nitish pandey said...

Lovely, the journey has been beautifully narrated.

Certainly one can visualize the experience through your mystical words!!!

Very rightly pointed out, sky-kissing condominiums and ritzy multi-level malls may be the order of the day in rapidly changing Indian cities, but the real India will continue to live in its rural outbacks.

Was wonderful reading!!! Keep writing

It was soothing.

Dhirendra said...

@Ashutosh-The transformation taking place is so in-your-face that you can't miss it. And I must tell you it doesn't feel nice at all.

@Tripti - Thanks dear. Will share more photographs with you. :-)

@Sonjoy - Thanks brother. If only we can have more readers like you who are genuinely interested in artistic expressions, this world would be a better place to live in for creative simpletons. Anyway, I think I can do with a few good souls for now. Will keep writing and keep sharing :-)

@Nitish - Your feedback is refreshing and I am pleasantly surprised with the expressions you used to convey your thoughts. Thanks and cheers to life! :-)

Subham said...

Dhiren going through your blog is truly refreshing as in cities we hardly ever get the reason for solace and long for peace. Whenever I get a chance to visit the hills I am so touched by the simplicity and honesty of its inhabitants. I am sure you have some of these qualities remaining in your system as you were born in the lap of nature :)) Reading the piece gave me a sense of revisiting Alex Haley's Roots, where like the protagonist you also seem to have rediscovered for an entire people a rich cultural heritage that ultimately speaks to all of us. Ultimately it will be the true human spirit which will champion and bear testimonial for generations. Way to go bro.

Dhirendra said...

@Subham-Thanks bandhu for taking out time to read my blog and writing back with your impression. I am also glad to know that you liked what I wrote but comparing my work with Alex Haley's Roots was simply too much. I feel overwhelmed right now :-)

Subham said...

Arey rulayega kya..Roots se mujhe bas yaad aa gaya tha..but as I always say try writing more you have an author hiding inside..:)

Dhirendra said...

@Subham - Thanks bhai. Main bhi issi koshish mein hu... apne andar ke author ko bahar nikalne ki. Keep looking at your inbox. You will get a link to my new blog soon ;-)

Anonymous said...

Well written Dhiren. The honestly of a boy within the corporate man flows so well in the words. We have all forgotten or rather have been pushed towards keeping aside the simplicity of life.
The mountains do help everyone. Lets hope its serenity and purity is not messed around with.

BISHWAJEET DAS said...

Beautiful expression out from the bottom of your heart on to this platform. Nature has an indefinite depth of beauty which always makes it different. A paradise on earth, my home town is in northeast and that too reminds me of the same paradise which you tried to pen down here.

risretroto said...

Well written 'Boy from the pahads' ! But yes you've actually raised a point that we are getting inclined more towards monetary values that's being mentioned indirectly forgetting about our inner happiness. It's about time ... top notch guys including us understand about the prime importance of life and help the needy. Lastly i totally agree with you ... hills is where you kneel down with your arms spread wide by taking a deep breath and enjoying the serenity of it. Cheers !

Dhirendra said...

@Rohan, Bishwajeet and Rishabh - Thanks guys. It feels good to know that all three of you could relate to the blog. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Looking forward to your continued support. :-)

Unknown said...

Very well put Dhiren! I can see the pain you feel when you leave behind so much for the elusive world of the comforts of the city life. The customs, heritage, culture, people, the mere pleasure of living a rustic life is so evidently fulfilling in the villages of India. But I also appreciate the fact that the villages are having access to basic sanitation and electricity.

Dhirendra said...

@ Shreyosi - Thanks a bunch for taking out time to read and post your feedback. I agree with you...it's a mixed feeling.

YC said...

That's one really interesting write up! You've got a good flair for writing; it was a joy to read your description of the village. Kudos boss!!

YC said...

That's one really interesting write up! You've got a good flair for writing; it was a joy to read your description of the village. Kudos boss!!

Dhirendra said...

Thanks a ton, Yatharth.